Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Book Review: The Fear Index


I've had this book on my shelf to read for over a year, since having it given it to me as a Christmas present. I was so desperate to read it I even got the hard back, rather than wait for the paperback to be released. But then I couldn't quite bring myself to actually read it. I had enjoyed Robert Harris' other books so much, especially Archangel that I wanted to keep this as one to look forward to, rather than read it.

But after struggling through some pretty average offerings from James Craig in the past few weeks, I couldn't delay any longer. As I replaced the book on the bookcase after finishing reading it I had two thoughts. Firstly, why didn't I read this the day it was given to me, and who can I give this to next so that we can compare notes on how awesome it it.

The basic premise of the book is Alex Hoffman, physicist and social loner has created a computer programme which helps bypass the human elements of trying to make money on the stock markets. However it quickly becomes apparent that the programme is going a little beyond its original plan, with consequences that I didn't see coming at all.

Like Harris' historical fiction, Imperium and Lustrum, this book doesn't claim to be based on a real story, but it never feels like it is a work of science-fiction. Throughout the book I found myself thinking 'This could actually happen'. I think that is one of the most chilling aspects of it.

There is enough technical information in the book to lead those who are completely feckless when it comes to computers to believe that everything has been thoroughly researched but without going into the kind of over the top detail you might find in  Tom Clancy book which leaves me glazing over about the capabilities of tanks and ranges of bullets.

There is a point in every good book where you simply can't put it down and have to keep going until you finish reading. That moment in Fear Index was around page 150 for me, just over halfway through. Luckily it came about on the weekend so there was no problem. There are enough twists to keep you guessing but not so many that they become tiresome.

If you like Robert Harris, you've probably already read this book, but if you haven't then you really should, it's a masterpiece. 

No comments:

Post a Comment